Sunday, September 9, 2012

Hokuto 12-Year-Old Pure Malt


Distillery: Hakushu
Whisky type: Pure Malt
ABV: 40%
Volume: 660ml


Nose: Whipped cream, fried pineapple, fresh banana fritters, dusty wood chips, integrated subtle sweet smoke, Allen’s fruit tingles: lemon and orange, sweet oak, salt rock, and strangely but pleasant spicy tomato juice.
 
Taste: Lush. Smooth and silky with gorgeous oak, a dash of concentrated lime juice, and a drop of pineapple juice from a can. The whipped cream makes itself present before spiced mixed nuts roll into the equation. The malt becomes very creamy the longer it sits.
 
Finish: Dry, tame, and oaky with a medium length.
 
Comment: This is an extremely mouthwatering whisky. The Hokuto 12-year-old was released on the market in 2004 and ceased production late 2009 or early 2010 as far as I know. Although a mass marketed line-up of Suntory at the time, it is now ever so scarce due to its popularity, and effectively cheap price for excellent quality. It took me at least 6 months to find my bottle, and I was reluctant to open it, but glad I did. This Pure Malt ticks all the right boxes, it offers something different to Suntory’s core Yamazaki and Hakushu single malts. I’m a fan, and will be on the hunt for another bottle…I better make it 2 bottles.


Reviewed by Clint A

2 comments:

  1. Just looking at that bottle makes my mouth water Clint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since opening this I haven't touched any of my other opened malts. I keep going back to this. Ive reached a little below the half way mark and have noticed a bigger presence on citrus aromas, perhaps stronger is a better word, stronger compared to the mild lemon/lime I got initially when I opened the bottle. The creaminess is lush, I can see why you recommend this Brian.

      Delete