Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Nikka Yoichi Single Malt No-Age-Statement 43%abv


Nose: Serges of strawberries & cream chewy lollies (Allens), mandarine zest, gingerbread, white chocolate, flat sarsaparilla.

Taste: Salty licorice, sarsaparilla, black forrest cake, slight peppermint.

Finish: Short and dry; but with an unusual,medium keyed, prolonged, gum numbing aniseed mouthfeel. 

Balance: Nothing overly complex about this malt. Simple, a bit flat, always waiting for a change to come.

Comment: This is my third tasting but the first to accompany notes. This malt is intriguing. I seem to capture something different every time. There is always a note on the tip of my tongue which I can't pinpoint, making me go back for more. My personal preference out of the two no age statement malts from Nikka would have to be the Miyagikyo.


Reviewed by Clint A

5 comments:

  1. Good to see a blog on the Kansai whisky scene - I am only familiar with Tokyo. One of my co-blogger will be heading back to Osaka next month so we will probably be contacting you with some questions! Looking forward to future reviews and posts.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouraging words. I look forward to writing a lot of personal reviews and providing a good spread of bars in the Kansai region, again, that I personally visit and review, while enjoying a dram.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two years ago, I bought a bottle of this from a 7-11 store on a trip in tokyo , for just 1680 yen, a very reasonable price with a good dram.
    The peat is obviously come along in the finished. I has a good experience in tasting such a no age Nikka.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The price sounds about right, compared to my local venue that stocks it.
    I personally have not seen it being sold at any 7-11, interesting. I know the majority of 7-11 stores sell a lot of blends but the Yoichi no age statement? Lovely....

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was in July 2008, I bought a bottle of it from a 7-11 in Uedo. In July 2010, I has another trip to Tokyo, but can't find it in any conveniennce store any more.

    ReplyDelete