Monday, January 31, 2011

White Oak Akashi Single Malt 12yo



Distillery: White Oak - ABV: 50 % - Whisky type: Single malt - Outturn: 2,000  bottles - Volume: 500ml


Nose, Taste, Finish, Balance: In my opinion there is a slight peat background - nothing on initial contact but slowly the aroma creeps up. Strong presence of a shearing shed with all the elements. Small apple vinegar spice and tyre rubber is evidently present. This is a winner (only in my opinion) compared to all the other expressions (excluding the 14yo) from White Oak. Very distinguishable. 

Not an overly long aftertaste, but enough to keep you interested. Sweet wafts of candy and bubble gum. Major spice and slivers of ginger. Dab of aniseed with a slightly overpowering alcohol burn - missing a clean and crisp finish to give this malt more stardom. 

Comments: Non-chill filtered, no colour, bottled at 50% abv. Cask type: Spanish sherry butts. A far better distill than the 8 year old that was limited to 4,500 bottles and now sold out. Various expressions are available for online purchase (in Japanese).

Reviewed by Clint A

5 comments:

  1. I think you should try the 5YO. I've had a couple of bottles and from what I've read, and I think Chris from nonjatta would agree, its the pick of the bunch and that's including the Single Cask bottled for Zoetrope bar.
    As an aside I also have a bottle of Eigashima's excellent White Oak Crown Blend. This one seems to have a very high malt content. Have also tried the new blend released a few months ago that sells for under Y1000, definitely worth a punt at that price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have tried the 5YO, and the reasonably priced blend for around 950 yen if I remember correctly. I have just gone over my personal notes and yes I recorded good things about the 5YO. But for me personally (on the day-in a short time) I enjoyed the 12YO, especially the nose more so than the 5YO. Perhaps I should give my palate the pleasure of the 5YO again, while giving it time and see what happens. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on the 8YO. Sorry, did you review it on Nonjatta?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't tried any White Oak - sounds interesting so I will have to give it a try. The 5y/o definitely sounds worth a try at that price too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please note, it's the blend at around 950 yen including tax. As for the 5YO, it is currently retailing on White Oak's website for 2100 yen, which is, still a reasonable price. Be sure to give it a crack......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both reasonably priced and worth the "risk"

    ReplyDelete